Boris Koenig writes:

> That would at least make sense if I don't
> find _any_ plib app where I achieve more than 10-15 FPS with the
> nvidia card ;-)

I have many PLib applications that run at a rock steady 70hz, my
screen refresh rate, on a NVIDIA GeForce 2 in a PIII 733

> On the other hand I had a closer look at this openGL logging application
> and I think one might attempt to get representative results by
> adding the functionality to FlightGear itself

Low level OpenGL logging is already built into FlightGear
but you need to hard-compile it in.  There are no instructions
other then the source code as if one can't read the code then
one has no reason to have this capability as they certainly
won't understand the resulting output :-)

> possibly it's really
> about enabling specific options on some boards ?!

!!! it's about *disenabling* specific options on some boards !!!

Yup,  there is enough variability in machines that there is no
'one size' fits all.   The default settings are a compromise
between reasonable performance on most semi modern
machines and what the hard core entusiasts want in terms
of 'eye candy'

One thing non-coders could do that would be useful would
be to start collecting these machine specific tips on a web page
somewhere < like the Wiki >.

Cheers

Norman