I looked into the config.log file and it doesn't make much sense:

## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

#define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
#define HAVE_LIBPTHREAD 1
#define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
#define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
#define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
#define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
#define HAVE_STRING_H 1
#define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
#define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
#define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
#define PACKAGE "SimGear"
#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
#define PACKAGE_NAME ""
#define PACKAGE_STRING ""
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
#define STDC_HEADERS 1
#define VERSION "0.3.7"
#endif
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;

configure: exit 1

And using --plib-prefix=/usr/ did not work. It resulted in:
configure: error: unrecognized option: --plib-prefix=/usr/
Try `./configure --help' for more information.

I got PLIB 1.8.3 to compile thanks to Adam. But that didn't help
either. I think I will try to get the release version of simgear
instead of getting it from CVS. Don't think that will have any effect
though.

I'm also going to try to use --prefix=/onepath for plib and simgear.
See if that works.

Thanks for the replies!