Well... I got simgear configured.

Before I didn't specify --prefix for plib or simgear. Now I made a
directory called fgfs in / and install plib  there and then specified
that plib was installed there when configuring simgear and used the
same prefix for simgear. Now it worked.
This leads me to thinking it was a crazy permissions problem!

Well at least it works now and I will be making a Mac OS X installer
package for plib 1.8.3 and posting it online for other people like me.

Next step is to get simgear and flightgear to compile. I guess you'll
hear from me again soon.

--
<Arthur/>