Am Sonntag, den 04.12.2011, 22:14 +0000 schrieb Stuart Buchanan:
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM, kreuzritter2000wrote:
> >
> > We could do the same, but i don't know, if this works with an irregular
> > grid, flighgear uses.
>
> This is a very interesting idea indeed. I hadn't realized that is how they had
> done it in MSFS.
>
> Rather than using the same texture, we can simply have a separate
> "texture" for object type and rotation.
>
> I've already managed to use a second texture to mask where trees are
> placed. The following screenshot shows a golf course where I've used
> a mask so that the random trees are only placed in the rough.
>
> http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/golf.jpg

This looks great!

When we're talking about MSFS and terrain i also want to mention, that
their regular grid allowed them to use textures that allowed a seamless
crossover on their borders. So with the right textures choosen, the
textures matched on the borders.

This solution might be rather difficult or is impossible with an
irregular grid, but the borders at the textures and their not seamless
crossover are one show stopper that makes the visual qualitiy in
FlightGear not as that good as it could be.
I wonder how X-Plane solved that, they're using an irregular grid too,
but the texture borders look rather seamless which makes the visual
quality very realistic.
http://www.x-plane.com/wp/wp-content/gallery/more-v10-landscapes/kc-10_13.jpg

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.