> are there any screenshots available which compares "before/after"?

Not as such... A collection of work in progress is in the forum

http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16884

but this is with my private not-necessarily-GPL development environment.

The comparison is otherwise quite easily done in-sim - the transition and
landmass quality sliders control the texturing, setting them both to zero when
atmospheric light scattering is on restores default texturing.

Note that currently only /Materials/regions/materials.xml contains the overlay
texture definitions and that not all landclasses are done - I still have some
textures only in non-GPL compatible form.

* Thorsten