> Is this work something that is active by default or does it need to be
> turned on?  Or is it only availble in a particular area?  Do I need to do
> anything special to look at the results beyond just take off and fly
> around
> anywhere?

* atmospheric light scattering: on
* shader micromanagement dialog: landmass and transition effects to max (or
above 3 in order to see partial effects)

 -> look for any shrub or herbtundra landclass, they have the full bells and
whistles, sand has some detail overlay

* also play with Advanced Weather/Environment dust cover and terrain wetness
for more fun

The area around Las Vegas is very nice - it's almost all shrub and gets the
full blast of the effect.

-> Mojave desert should look like this
http://users.jyu.fi/~trenk/pics/xb70.jpg

Watch console for shader compilation errors if this doesn't work, experience
tells me that nVidia drivers are very tolerant, ATI drivers are not, so it is
possible that some GLSL runs fine for me, but not for others, which is very
hard to anticipate.

* Thorsten