On 3/1/2012 2:58 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
Below.

On Feb 29, 2012, at 5:43 AM, Loup Vaillant<l...@loup-vaillant.fr>  wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of that limitation.  I have the feeling however that
IDEs and debuggers are overrated.
When I'm Squeaking, sometimes I find myself modeling classes with the browser
but leaving method bodies to 'self break' and then write all of the actual code
in the debugger. Doesn't work so well for hacking on the GUI, but, well.

I'm curious about 'debuggers are overrated' and 'you shouldn't need one.' Seems
odd. Most people I've encountered who don't use the debugger haven't learned
one yet.

agreed.

the main reason I can think of why one wouldn't use a debugger is because none are available. however, otherwise, debuggers are a fairly useful piece of software (generally used in combination with debug-logs and unit-tests and similar).

sadly, I don't yet have a good debugger in place for my scripting language, as mostly I am currently using the Visual-Studio debugger (which, granted, can't really see into script code). granted, this is less of an immediate issue as most of the project is plain C.

At one company (I'd love to tell you which but I signed a non-disparagement agreement)
when I asked why the standard dev build of the product didn't include the debugger
module, I was told "you don't need it." When I went to install it, I was told
not to.

I don't work there any more...

makes sense.