I think it is domain dependent -- for example, it is very helpful to have a
debugger of some kind for a parser, but less so for a projection language like
Nile. On the other hand, debuggers for making both of these systems are very
helpful. Etoys doesn't have a debugger because the important state is mostly
visible in the form of graphical objects. OTOH, having a capturing tracer (a la
EXDAMS) could be nice for both reviewing and understanding complex interactions
and also dealing with "unrepeatable events"

The topic of going from an idea for a useful POL to an actually mission usable
POL is prime thesis territory.

Cheers,

Alan