Yep, I was there and trying to get the Newton project off the awful ATT chip
they had first chosen. Larry Tesler (who worked with us at PARC) finally wound
up taking over this project and doing a number of much better things with it.
Overall what happened with Newton was too bad -- it could have been much better
-- but there were many too many different opinions and power bases involved.

If you have a good version of confinement (which is pretty simple HW-wise) you
can use Butler Lampson's schemes for Cal-TSS to make a workable version of a
capability system.

And, yep, I managed to get them to allow interpreters to run on the iPad, but
was not able to get Steve to countermand the "no sharing" rule.

Cheers,

Alan