Actually, we can do great particle systems with the shader language for
WebGL. This is a kind of native client mode expressed as a kind of SIMD,
with even better performance than star-squeak had. The reality is still
that a great algorithm will still win, especially when coupled with
strategically defined performance enhancements, as Squeak was. I agree that
NaCl is a revolution about to happen and we are in a very exciting time,

David