For better or worse, both Apple and Microsoft (via Windows 8) are attempting to
rectify this via the "Terms and Conditions" route.

It's been announced that both Windows 8 and OSX Mountain Lion will require
applications to be installed via download thru their respective "App Stores" in
order to obtain certification required for the OS to allow them access to
features (like an installed camera, or the network) that are outside the
default application sandbox.

The acceptance of the App Store model for the iPhone/iPad has persuaded them
that this will be (commercially) viable as a model for general public
distribution of trustable software.

In that world, the Squeak plugin could be certified as safe to download in a
way that System Admins might believe.