--- Finn Bock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [Chris]
>
> >>I'm definitely in agreement with you on this one
> Glen. Lets keep
> >>Layout simple whilst its still unfinished.
> >>Pluggable LMs can be added once we have an
> >>initial release.
>
> [Andreas]
>
> > Well... (sigh)... well ('nutha sigh)
> >
> > What *does* Finn think, in that case? So far, I've
> yet to hear a single
> > *solid* argument pleading against the proposed
> change. Of course, something
> > like LM Makers can be added later on --the
> proposed AreaFactory shouldn't
> > hinder that.
>
> I got some minor suggestions to the patch:
>
> - It should be strict typed: createBlock(..),
> createInline(..)
> - It should be complete so that all area creation
> was done through the
>    factory, not just the 3 areas that Tibor needs.

Finn, keep in mind--both you and Simon wanted
pluggable LM's, and you even supplied a patch for it a
few months ago.   But you have been mostly silent on
the matter ever since (i.e., it looks like you don't
have a need for it ATM.)  So sometimes it is good to
have things sit in Bugzilla for a couple of months,
see if others want it, or what modifications they
want, or see if even the original requestor still
needs it.

Also, Tybor seemed to be fine with using pluggable
LM's instead of pluggable Area's--i.e., not even
needing them *now*--which would make his desires in
sync with yours and Simon's (and mine), as well as
keep our layout code in our LM's instead of moving to
the Area objects.  Do you still see a need then for
*both* pluggable LM's and pluggable Areas in our code
then?  I didn't find that realistic, as I am uncertain
of the additional power that it offers, but am asking
your opinion here.

> I've never bought the increased complexity argument.
> Not in this case
> and not in any of the previous cases where it was
> raised.

I've bought it due to my work with the apps package
and removing AddLMVisitor, and how reducing the
complexity allowed many other changes in other areas
that weren't previously apparent to occur.  I also
think that many of your later enhancements in
properties wouldn't have become obvious if you didn't
first get us out of the XSLT-generated properties
classes.  Even I was able to implement some (minor)
property-related API changes as a result of your work
in getting rid of the autogenerated code.

Glen