Victor and Jeremias, thanks for your Inputs.

Victor, I've checked out your aXSL. I'll study it and come back to you
if I have questions.

Jeremias wrote:

> > Speaking of startVParea(), could we rename it to something more meanigfull?
> > Proposition: TransformPosition, or something like this.
> > Deleted the methods moved to AbstractRenderer.
> Actually, I like startVParea() (or rather startViewportArea like I would
> rather call it) because only for viewport a new transformation matrix is
> necessary. I think when you port the matrix concatenation from the PDF
> renderer over to Java2D in startVParea() you will start to understand
> what's going on here.
OK,  thanks. That makes sense.

> > fop.area.CTM: added two getters for e and f. If there's another way to get
> > those
> > values, please let me know.
> Normally, we use toArray() but I guess these two getters are ok and
> don't hurt although I think they are not necessary because you need to
> use all other values in the CTM, too, to get the reference orientation
> stuff right. See above.
OK, I'll use the available toArray() instead.

> > The enclosed image doesn't have ipd/bpd
> > either. Again: is this normal so? I have a workaround in mind (getting those
> > values through the FopImage), but it doesn't sound right.
> In this case it is probably better to fix the LMs. I've started doing
> that but haven't finished. ATM this is lower priority for me. I can send
> you my current code if you want to try to fix it. Shouldn't be so
> difficult.
I would also prefer to fix the LM's. I don't want to go into it now
(too complex for me ATM), but I'll come back to you later.

> > renderTextDecoration(InlineArea) seems to work, even if it's not
> > implemented??
> Huh? It was you who moved the implementation up from PDFRenderer to
> AbstractRenderer. That's how you implemented it. Inheritance!
I mean renderTextDecoration(InlineArea) from AbstractRenderer, which
is an empty ATM . Did you mean renderTextDecoration(Font fs,
InlineArea Inline, int baseline, int startx) instead?
But I think I got in now: when I run examples/fo/basic/textdeko.fo ,
the underline of the sentence "This is a whole block wrapped in
fo:inline with the property text-decoration="underline". Some more
Text to get at least two lines." works ok. This is because the
TextArea handles the underline (via renderTextDecoration(Font fs,
InlineArea Inline, int baseline, int startx) ) and the
renderTextDecoration(InlineArea) doesn't do anything.

> BTW, Using Graphics.create() you should be able to create a copy of the
> current Graphics2D object. By pushing the old one on a stack and
> overwriting the graphics member variable should should be able to create
> the same effect as with currentState.push()/saveGraphicsState() in
> PDFRenderer.startVParea () and currentState.pop()/restoreGraphicsState
> ()in endVParea(). When leaving a VP area you can simply restore an older
> Graphics2D object for the stack and continue painting. This will undo
> any transformations and state change done in the copy used within the VP
> area. See second paragraph in javadocs of java.awt.Graphics.
Sounds very good. Why haven't I thought of it ? ;)

> Another thought: One of my low-priority tasks is to create a little
> application that renders a test suite with all of FOP's renderers
> creating bitmap images for each generated document and ultimately
> creating a little website that lets us compare the output. PDFs and PS
> files can be converted to bitmaps using GhostScript. Maybe you might
> want to write such a thingy. I won't get to it before I get to updating
> the PS renderer to full quality.
That would be good. Do you mean something like the "Bitmap production"
you documented on FopAndJava2D [1]? This is what I intend to work on
after the basic Java2DRenderer works.

Thanks for your valuable comments. I'll work them out carefully and
post an improved patch.

Regards,
Renaud

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FopAndJava2D