On 11.02.2002 17:32:49 Bart Locanthi wrote:
> >>for OutputStreams when all JSP will give you are Writers..
> >
> > JSP is bad for your mental health anyway :-)
>
> uh oh, you got me started...
>
> i rather like JSP (in principle) and the idea of developing tags for use
> by UI and layout people.

> can even be a true pipeline with a little tomcat hacking to avoid those
> stupid BodyContent things.
>
> looking at the code generated by a JSP compiler does give my stomach a
> turn, and the Writer/OutputStream problem rears its ugly head with Fop.
> i can see why Fop doesn't deal with Writers - all of the Image
> serialization things i've seen use OutputStreams exclusively.

Well, PDF for example is basically a binary format. And binary formats
don't go well with Writers. That's a short story.

> plus, sun appears to finally be making a push in jdk1.4 to make byte
> streams go fast. no idea what this will do to JSP.
>
> but without Fop able to use Writers the above pipeline is going to have
> a byte->char->byte thing going on, just waiting for a
> unicode/buffer-alignment bug to pop up a year from now.

JSP is nice but use a Servlet in this case and save your nerves. You'll
live longer that way. Sorry, I couldn't hold back on this one. :-)

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Postfach 3954 - Rhynauerstr. 15 - 6002 Luzern
Fon +41 (0)41 317 2020 - Fax +41 (0)41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch