Jeremias Maerki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The only place where Xerces is directly imported is the PFMReader and
> TTFReader. Ok, Driver, when startet using the command line, uses Xerces
> by default, but nothing prevents you from using any JAXP parser with FOP.

Stuff matching org.apache.x* in 0.20.2:
...Driver.java
  parserClassName = "org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser";
...PFMReader.java
  org.apache.xerces.dom.*;
  org.apache.xml.serialize.*;
  org.apache.xalan.xslt.*;
...TTFReader.java
  dto.
...fop.layout.hyphenation.PatternParser.java
  parserClassName = "org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser";
...fop.tools.anttasks.CompileXMLFiles.java
  parserClassName = "org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser";
...fop.tools.xslt.Xalan1Transform.java
  org.apache.xalan.xslt.*;
...fop.tools.xslt.XSLTransform.java
  Class.forName("org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTProcessor");

I believe all this stuff could be replaced by JAXP 1.1 standard
functionality. This means FOP could also be build with any JAXP
1.1 compatible XML/XSL library.
This would also get rid of some unfortunate dependencies from
Driver.getParserClassName() (why not use
  SAXParserFactory.newSAXParser().getXMLReader()
instead and let the library handle all the annoying stuff? At
the same time, validation could be switched off, gaining some
performance in rare cases).
I could try to prepare patches, however:
- Is there a chance to get them into the maintenance branch?
  (there is a feature freeze pending, AFAIK)
- Last time i tried i was not able to build FOP successfully,
  because of an odd ant incompatibility problem i didn't (and
  still don't) have time to resolve. This means i can only try
  basic compilation, someone else would have to finalize the
  patch.

(Crossposted to fop-dev)

Regards
J.Pietschmann