> Bart Locanthi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [I wrote:]
> > > Can you describe your problems a little bit more detailed?
> > tomcat comes with xerces or crimson...
>
> I meant: do your applications throw unexpected exceptions, if so,
> which (ClassNotFound (which class), NoSuchMethod ...), or do they
> malfunction or hang or give unexpected results or what?
>
> Apart from this, org.apache.xml.serialize is not JAXP and therefore
> unlikely to appear in any Sun Java distribition. This can be remedied
> in a somewhat odd way by using the built-in identity transformation:
>   TransformerFactory.newInstance().newTransformer().transform(
>     new DOMSource(... ), //or whatever
>     new StreamResult(new File("/path/to/result.xml")));
> (IMHO thats rather bad architecture, but so what.)
> It should be possible to set output encoding and all that stuff on
> the identity transformer the same way as on any other.

Transformer.setOutputProperties() doesn't work on the identity
transformer? I need to check that...

> Would be interesting if FOP was fixed this way and therefore
> became more independent of the underlying XML libraries. In fact,
> it should be possible to get rid of all org.apache.x*.* imports
> and references and to solely rely on JAXP classes and methods.

The only place where Xerces is directly imported is the PFMReader and
TTFReader. Ok, Driver, when startet using the command line, uses Xerces
by default, but nothing prevents you from using any JAXP parser with FOP.

> I also vaguely remember that recent tomcat releases no longer
> exposes its XML parser to servlets per default, this may also
> be a source of confusion. The docs have a method how to get
> the parser back.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 41 317 20 20 - Fax +41 41 317 20 29
Internet http://www.outline.ch