Looking at the error message, I went through the source code and tracked the error down.

The class org.apache.fop.Label has to be adapted:

private StringBuffer textBuffer = new StringBuffer();

instead of
private StringBuffer textBuffer;

The class does check for null, but only if a text is appended.

The transformations do work now.

Stephan

Stephan Wiesner wrote:
Good morning Jeremias,
one more thing, the transformation with bookmarks and double sided does work for some (small) documents, but not for one of my real documents (all with more than 50 pages). I have made a zip (1.3 MB) availabel with one such document:
http://digipub.fhnon.de/~swiesner/dokbook.zip

Here is the full error message:

[INFO] [50 (blank)]
[INFO] [51]
[DEBUG] Last page-sequence produced 1 pages.
[INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer
[ERROR] null
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException
at org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLineStarter.run(CommandLineStarter.java:74
)
at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main(Fop.java:19)

---------

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.fop.extensions.Label.toString(Label.java:44)