Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:13:47 -0500
From: i...@mikewickham.com
To: framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: FrameMaker: mysterious font substitution in PDF

    Adding to Stuart's answer, if this is a situation where Windows is
    reading a printer-resident version of Helvetica from a Postscript
    printer-- rather than using a font that is actually installed on the
    computer--, the situation is usually easily fixable. The printer
    installation disk should contain a folder that holds all the
    printer-resident fonts. You canmanually install any that you want on
    the computer and they will then be embeddable in a PDF.

    There is a warning related to Helvetica, though. There is a Windows
    or Internet Explorer bug (I forget which), which causes Web pages to
    display blank if they contain Helvetica as the first listed font in
    CSS and the Postscript version of Helvetica is installed on the
    computer. So if you start seeing blank Web pages in your browser,
    try uninstalling Helvetica from your computer-- or replace it with
    the OpenType version.

    Mike Wickham

     Are you sure the client actually has
        Helvetica on their system, and that Adobe PDF is their default
        printer (at least when using FM -- see Sundorne Setprint
        plugin)? It's possible their hardware printer is reporting the
        presence of Helvetica to the operating system, so that it
        appears to be present, but a printer-resident font can't be
        embedded in PDF.

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/docudoc%40hotmail.com