Hopefully I'm not too late to help!

I actually got a new system at work today and fully rebuilt my production environment before lunch (FM8 + CS5 & AcroPro9 & oXygen & all updates across the system).

As it wasn't my first rodeo with Frame and the terrible PDF support, I knew to do the following:
1) Install FM8 but DO NOT install "PDF Creation" from the FM disk (8 prompts; later it might be a checkbox).
2) Install all FM8 updates, in order, from the web.
3) Install PhotoShop and Illustrator ONLY from CS5.
4) Install Acrobat Pro 9, full (even all language support).
5) Install all my other helpers and oXygen (we are in transition to DITA/XML).
6) Run Windows Update. Twice.
7) Update Java (incidental; we use vCloud Director).
8) THEN run Adobe Updater.

Done. The critical step, as your friend deduced, is not to let FrameMaker do ANYTHING to setup Acrobat, Distiller, PDF Printer, etc: nothing. And only install Acrobat Pro after ALL other Adobe products are installed: let it do it's thing without any chance of something dumber coming along and "fixing" it.

HTH;
David