I don't know if the archives are up or not, but there are several
things that are recommended procedure that have been discussed /
recommended a number of times that you're not doing.

First, save the Word files as .rtf and open those in FM.
Second, Frame's Japanese .RTF import filter seems, for many people, to
work better than the straight RTF.
Third, some types of graphics in Word can confound the filters. If the
import seems to die at the same place, check and see if there's a
graphic embedded that you can remove and re-import.

Your memory problem / message: what are the system specifics? Is there
a reason to think that you're not running out of memory?

Art

--
Art Campbell                                             art.campbell at
gmail.com