I think you need to have at least formats for referring only to the numbered
bit (e.g., Appendix D) as well as the entire title with number (e.g. Appendix
D,?"Frying Pans and Toasters.")

The biggest issue with the second format is if the text being cited includes
punctuation itself.?

My preference would be to exclude terminal punctuation from the text and allow
the writers to add it as needed in constructing their sentences including the