From: framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Nancy Allison
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:52 PM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: Cross-ref formats

Some follow-up questions:

1. I've been looking at the Chicago Manual, 15th edition. I'd expect a great
honking treatment of this subject, but I'm not seeing it. All the
cross-reference i9nformation is presented with reference to indexes and
bibliographies. The sections referring to cross-references "in text" are
discussions of the editor's obligation to check cross-references!

Is there an exhaustive section on x-ref format, in text, that I'm missing?

2. I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you , to discover just what a
stick-in-the-mud I really am. I thought italics were sacrosanct for
referring to the titles of separately bound publications. (Although how
purely electronic publications can be "bound" is a topic for another day.)
But .. . you've all gotten over this hurdle and use italics to identify
cross-references? Like:  "See <open italics> Pots and Pans <close italics>
on page 85," where "Pots and Pans" is a couple of paragraphs with header in
a much longer chapter of a much larger *separately bound* publication,
whether physical or digital?

Really?

I must sit down.

In that case, do you also put your italicized x-refs in a different color,
so as to distinguish them from the titles of separately bound publications,
which you might also mention in your text?

Thanks!

--Nancy