Question: is tolua used for anything other than pre-compilation?

That is, AFAICT tolua is only used to build api_gen.*

Therefore, tolua would never be anything other than natively compiled,
and would not be distributed in a binary distribution?

Only lua would be generated for the target distribution?

My suggestion is that we:
1) get tolua++ installed and running in the trunk,
2) then test cross-compilation,
3) then upgrade lua itself afterward.

My observation is that the main problem we experienced was trying to change
from tolua++.h to tolua.h.

Therefore, I also suggest that we not change the header.  It seems to be
too embedded in the tolua++ expectations.