Well, yes, there's a fix for the mentioned problem and I even managed to fix a
couple bugs in the old version independently,...

there's a catch though: the fix for gtk+ 3.4 (only for this problem, not those
old bugs) is backwards incompatible - 'background-size: cover' got introduced
in 3.4 and undefined property means whole theme not getting applied.

2 files this time: updated gtk.css and paired menubar.css (perhaps I should
just put it in one file, but whatever...).

(file #15834, file #15835)

File name: gtk.css                        Size:4 KB
File name: menubar.css                    Size:0 KB