1. I used VIDECDD.SYS and CD Audio started working
2. In Fade 2 Black it will jump straight into the game, skip the
introduction. Replacing SHSUCDX with MSCDEX resolves this issue
3. A typical startup menu like this:

[MENU]
REM Define an item in the menu, first identifier and then what
REM is written in the menu
MENUITEM=DOS, DOS with CD-ROM
MENUITEM=WIN, Windows

REM The commands at COMMON is executed no matter what is chosen
REM in the MENU
[COMMON]
DOS=HIGH,UMB

REM For each menu item there can be defined a configuration
[DOS]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\DRIVER.SYS /D:CD1

[WIN]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF

Whereas FreeDOS uses a different format:

MENU
MENU  select your configuration
MENU
MENU  use (0) for basic configuration
MENU  use (1) for CDROM operation
MENU  use (2) for NETWORK configuration
MENU
MENUDEFAULT=0,1 ( configuration 0, wait 1 second)

1?  rem CDROM
1?  device=CDROM.SYS

2?  rem NETWORK
2?  device=MyNetworkDriver.SYS

4. The error message was invalid opcode, but scrolled very fast and
indefinitely. I have seen this before with modern linux distributions when
an old CPU is not supported.

The note on the website is as follows:

   - FD12CD.iso <http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12CD.iso> (*full
   installer CDROM*) —If you have problems with this image, try FD12LGCY.iso
   <http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12LGCY.iso>

Using FD12LGCY, which I presume stands for legacy, works on a Pentium 200.

Thank you!

Regards,

Philip