"Realistically, someone should make a clone of Windows 3..0/3.11."

Call it Janus or Snowball after the code names for Windows 3..0/3.11
:)

I have been doing research on this and I am considering doing this.
Since I wanted to make a GUI for FreeDos. :) Need a break from package
building on the new release, either I am doing it wrong or it is a slow process.

I think I have a lot of good things to start

Wine Project/Reactos (they had a Win 16 Compatibility Library)
HX DOS Extender http://www.japheth.de/HX.html
wxMGL http://www.wxwidgets.org/about/wxuniv.htm
NanoX http://www.microwindows.org/

I still need to buy a copy of MSDOS 6.22 & Window's 3.11 for
comparison. Technical documentation on programing for and the design of
Windows 3.11 would be helpful.

"The goal shouldn't be to support the most recent programs,
it should be to implement a Windows 3.x compatible gui for
freedos that can run old Windows programs."

I was thinking goal 1 would be to run old windows program
but I see no need not to include newer functionality as well.
For example older browsers probably would not run load
websites very well, networking. WinFile at it was could not
view compressed drives, or see NTFS etc.

Any help/advice on this would also be greatly appreciated.