On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 7:03 AM, King InuYasha <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:51 PM, usul <usul.the.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Realistically, someone should make a clone of Windows 3..0/3.11."
>>
>> Call it Janus or Snowball after the code names for Windows 3..0/3.11
>> :)
>>
>> I have been doing research on this and I am considering doing this.
>> Since I wanted to make a GUI for FreeDos. :) Need a break from package
>> building on the new release, either I am doing it wrong or it is a slow
>> process.
>>
>> I think I have a lot of good things to start
>>
>> Wine Project/Reactos (they had a Win 16 Compatibility Library)
>> HX DOS Extender http://www.japheth.de/HX.html
>> wxMGL http://www.wxwidgets.org/about/wxuniv.htm
>> NanoX http://www.microwindows.org/
>>
>> I still need to buy a copy of MSDOS 6.22 & Window's 3.11 for
>> comparison. Technical documentation on programing for and the design of
>> Windows 3.11 would be helpful.
>>
>> "The goal shouldn't be to support the most recent programs,
>> it should be to implement a Windows 3.x compatible gui for
>> freedos that can run old Windows programs."
>>
>> I was thinking goal 1 would be to run old windows program
>> but I see no need not to include newer functionality as well.
>> For example older browsers probably would not run load
>> websites very well, networking. WinFile at it was could not
>> view compressed drives, or see NTFS etc.
>>
>> Any help/advice on this would also be greatly appreciated.
>>

> I have a VM with MS DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11, and Win32s available in a QEMU
> VM. If you need comparative testing, let me know.

Also, some other info...

* Calmira for GUI or someone could write a Program Manager for GUI like
Windows 3.x. Personally, I like the style of Windows 3.x over the Windows 95
style of GUI.

Because DOS HX Extender supports OpenGL, it is possible to use WineD3D to
translate DirectX to OpenGL, so DirectX apps may not get left out anyway.
Currently, this is how ReactOS emulates Direct3D.

With the Nano-X server for DOS adapted to be up to date on Win16/Win32 APIs
from the Wine/ReactOS Projects, and the X11 API from Xorg, then that would
make it extremely flexible.