On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Adam Norton <usul.the.mo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> * Calmira for GUI or someone could write a Program Manager for GUI like
> Windows 3.x. Personally, I like the style of Windows 3.x over the
> Windows 95 style of GUI.
> I can't remember if Win 3.1 had context menus or not and I kind of like
> a start menu/taskbar but thats not 3.11. If I do this right Calmira
> should work. :)
> > Because DOS HX Extender supports OpenGL, it is possible to use WineD3D
> > to translate DirectX to OpenGL, so DirectX apps may not get left out
> > anyway. Currently, this is how ReactOS emulates Direct3D.
> I expect that with all the things that I am looking at will make this
> both win16\win32 compatible, simply be cause of where I will be looking
> for code.
> Depends on what happens, we may want to have two version 16 only for
> older PC and a Win16\32 for the PCs that can handle it.
> This could end up being what would have happened had someone at M$ not
> conceived of Win95 LOL.
> > With the Nano-X server for DOS adapted to be up to date on Win16/Win32
> > APIs from the Wine/ReactOS Projects, and the X11 API from Xorg, then
> > that would make it extremely flexible.
> I am thinking, looking at Nano-X will give me a couple of options,
> xwindows integration with the win libs (easier app porting etc) or at
> the very least a good place to learn.
> I am not 100% sure but I am nearly confident that Window's window
> managers follow a different model than xwindows. Windows 3.1 compliance
> is the most important thing
> anything else is will be a bi product of what I use.
>
> usul

You are correct that Windows does use a different model. It isn't horribly
different though. Windows' window management is connected to GDI/GDI32 and
USER/USER32. These two DLLs serve exactly the same purpose as Xlib. Through
this and some other assorted DLLs, the Windows GUI is implemented through
shell.dll and shell32.dll from what I understand. shell/shell32 are what
control the window management I believe, so the X11 Window Manager
equivalent is shell32. Now, because of this, Windows is fairly restricted in
theming until about Windows XP, when uxtheme.dll was added in to separate
the theming code from the window management code. Explorer (or Program
Manager) has hooks that activate the shell mode, similar to Metacity's hooks
with GNOME panel when GNOME is the selected desktop.

Technically, computers from i386 and higher can run 32-bit Windows. However,
it is recommended that only i486 and higher run 32-bit Windows, since the
protected mode is quite a bit more advanced in the i486 over i386. Since HX
DOS Extender works fine in i386 afaik, there really shouldn't be too many
issues implementing as one version. If you plan to support Windows 3.0 "Real
Mode" (which is basically pointless), then you need to split the versions
because the real mode version can only be 16-bit. Not 32-bit.

Context menus ARE possible in Windows for Workgroups, but I don't think many
apps of the era used right clicking. A single click activates the menus.