guest schreef:
> I know about ReactOS, ReactOS is garbage right now.  It will probably be
> garbage for 2-3 more years.

Calling a project garbage is quite severe. If it's unusable for you or
your goals, just indicate so but don't dismiss other people's efforts
into getting something nice off the ground.
ReactOS is slowly seeming to get somewhere, with finally some hardware
support for storage controllers, networking, video (VESA, OpenGL rather
than DirectX) and sound.
Personally I'd love to have a free 150MB Win32 operating system which
allows me to run World of Warcraft on a small but fast disk.
> As far as Linux and Wine, Warcraft II BNE does not work under wine.  If
> I had the dos version, I could
> use dosbox or freedos.  Wine is not much better than ReactOS at
> supporting Windows progams.  Under
> Wine, I have never gotten sound for example.  On a less than 1 Ghz
> machine, who wants to run Wine?

[
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=592&iTestingId=15183

] indicates that this game can be installed properly. Besides, the
supported operating environmonts for this game are Macintosh (not OS-X I
guess), Win9x and Windows NT.
> Need I remind people, you cannot legally run MS-DOS anymore.  It's not
> something you can legally
> install to a system that never had MS-DOS.  MS-DOS is not freeware,
> that's why Freedos exists
> after all.

I think full retail versions of MSDOS have been available and can be
installed to any single computer system if you own a licensed copy. As
Microsoft dropped support and sales for MSDOS, you can usually no longer
purchase a new copy indeed. Install any other DOS flavor you got a
licensed copy of :)
Most people run older operating systems inside virtual machines
nowadays, which makes developing and testing things so much easier
compared to real hardware 90% of the time (with the other 10% being a
check for real world cases instead of ideal conditions).
> I've tried to talk to the ReactOS community to find out when this or
> that will be fixed or what is currently
> being worked on, all it does is make people angry.

They are in alpha fase, trying to get a framework up and running, rather
than your specific apps which require support all over the place. Per
opensource model, the fastest way to get what you want is to contribute
yourself rather than waiting for someone to implement certain parts you
need.

I'm still surprised you don't just use a Windows 9x license that you
already have. It's highly unlikely any opensource project besides Wine
would get support for Win3.x and Win9x applications.
No idea about Windows XP compatibility modes I'm afraid.

Goodluck creating a Win9x replacement if you're willing to put in such
an effort to get your games running.