> So far the pros... The cons are that I have to connect the output
> of one card to the input of the next or use a switch to select from
> which card I want to go to the amplifier. Another thing is that I
> have way too many volume control / mixer channels now :-D

How so? One card is the previously mentioned, the other is a Yamaha YMF-724
w/SPDIF. Could I somehow connect the two?

> In any case, you do not have to disable one card to use the other,
> simply install drivers for the card(s) that you like. In Linux, as
> both cards are recognized, simply select which one you prefer as
> the default output.

Well in Linux, I'm already using 2 sound outputs. The card, and the onboard
audio AC97. In Linux I just switch to the AC97 when I want to use the
headphones. What about DOS though? Can it handle having two sound cards,
plus onboard audio?

I found a Sound Blaster detection app linked to from this page. It finds,
and sets, the blaster variable for the Yamaha I just plugged into this PC.
The problem is that when I take that variable, and add it to my autoexec, it
doesn't work. I ended up setting the autoexec to call the BLASTER.EXE
detection app itself at startup. Several of the apps, and games with
auto-detection features now find the Yamaha card, but it still isn't
outputting sound. Yes, I've already tested it in Linux. Maybe it's this
Pentium 4, or MoBo BIOS causing issues? I noticed that it has some devices
assigned (possibly dynamically) to the same IRQs in the BIOS.

> At the risk of a horrible idea, why not just use DOSBox under Linux?

It's fine for 386 games like DOOM, but games like Daggerfall/Quake have
major frame skipping/dropping. I like the idea of a smooth 60fps, and also
like the idea of using the native environment OS.

> I would rather suggest dosemu, which is faster and runs real FreeDOS.

I've installed FreeDOS to dosemu. All I can say is that it's waayyy choppy
slow, even without sound! DOSBox was better, but I already haveseveral
programs running in FreeDOS fullspeed. (although without sound) :-(

BTW - Could someone points me towards a place to learn FreeeDOS specific
syntax(es). This was one of the last files I edited when I used DOS last. It
was me putting Windows 98, ME, and 98Lite all on one disc with a 2.88MB boot
img. As you can see, the syntax I used is a little out of date.

http://pastebin.com/E26wnSWK
http://pastebin.com/LcJnyCTg