Op 22-5-2012 16:05, Jack schreef:

> PCI V2.0C and later versions have all worked just FINE, until
> the rather poor emulator know as "VirtualBox" appeared, using
> its MISERABLE "emulation" logic for the Intel PIIX3 chipset!!
> If they DO NOT have such "long delay" trouble with their ICH9
> "emulation" logic, do you REALLY expect we should believe the
> PCI BIOS logic is now at fault, after almost 20 years??   The
> "VirtualBox" brats should take a long-hard look at their ICH9
> v.s. PIIX3 routines, and CORRECT those for the PIIX3!!

The easiest case is to have a bootdisk with UIDE on it, and present it
to the VirtualBox people as "hey this completes in under 7 seconds on
all hardware platforms and every popular emulator, except yours".

Actually, an autoexec.bat like this should do fine:

@ECHO OFF
RUNTIME DEVLOAD UIDE.SYS /S5 /H /D:CDROMDRV

with a corresponding config.sys of:
DEVICE=XMGR.SYS /PA

(the /PA is optional but seems to be more stable for A20 on anything
Syslinux/Memdisk related, especially in VMs)

Simply run the bootdisk under various hardware environments and write
down the reported time.