Op 21-5-2012 0:17, Ralf A. Quint schreef:

>> Is there a way to make FreeDos ignore that there is a floppy present
>> upon boot, i.e. force a boot from the harddrive? Again only a
>> problem when running it in a VM, I think, as on a hard PC, you may
>> set the boot options in the BIOS.
>
> Try to think about this for more than a second!
>
> How is FreeDOS supposed to decide from which media it is to be booted?
> (You have heard about the "chicken and egg" problem before, haven't you?)

As Ralf implies, the boot order is something specified by the system
firmware (BIOS) that's part of the system environment. In other words,
set the boot order in the virtual machine's BIOS (for example F2 in
VMware). QEMU uses a batchfile I think (for Windows at least) to specify
bootorder (passed on to SeaBIOS), Bochs uses some config file. No idea
about VirtualBox though.

QEMU is a bit troublesome to learn though, so many options. QEMU Manager
is a nice GUI in VirtualBox-style but is a bit older and uses older QEMU
versions.

Worst coming to worst, you can:
1) remove the floppy drive alltogether from your virtual machine
2) setup a bootmanager on floppydrive (MetaKern for example, or Grub)
3) setup a bootsector to diskette that chains to harddisk.

If the VM's BIOS is smart, you can disconnect the contents (image file)
from the virtual floppy drive and thus next boot device (harddisk) will
be considered. Or maybe it tries floppydrive but only finds a non
bootable disk there so jumps to next boot device (harddisk).