Hi,
Last one I am answering tonight...then back to my 50 shades of Grey
series.  in context below.

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

> Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen proof 7.03 cannot coexist with a
> "large" HD. Is it a lack of FAT32/>2GB partition support? That's her obstacle?
Here was the problem.
the dell inspirium 7500, <spelling> comes with a 12 gig hard drive.  When
we started the installation though, Dr dos via fdisk indicated only 7500 or
so,  creating its first primary fat 16  partition at the 2 gig
level...although we would find later that such was not what the drive was
showing.
We then tried, first the minimal fat 32 support for the logical rives in
its extended partitions, then to create fat 16 ones.  the former failed
totally.  the latter worked only slightly.   while there were variations
the experimenting, the logical drives were less than 2 gig in most cases
both as fat 16 and fat 32.  what would happen at the fat 16 level was that
while the second and third, say e: and F: drives functioned fine, the d: as
in the line where the extended and primary met did not, general protection
errors, not allowing us to copy files or create directories, no allocation
units on that part of the drive.
We took a look with ranish finding over lapping partitions everywhere, the
actual c drive was 4 gig, the cylinder arrangement was off etc.  although
we tired using ranish to create the partitions instead, Dr dos 7.03 simply
would not see  them at all, no matter how divided, even as fat 16.
There are more details, but that gives You an idea.

> If not, it could be that the only obstacle is her installation methodology.
> What size HD does she have in that Dell laptop? What partitioning would she
> prefer to have? Possibly I could do what she ultimately wants, then describe
> how to do it. I too have a Dell laptop with a PIII CPU. And, if I can find
> the floppies and they still work, I have Novell DOS 7 also.
what is novell dos 7?
As for what partitions would be workable, my best guess is that she will
be fine with say one primary and three logical in the extended partition.
the question would be if this were doable with the Dr dos 7.03 she wants,
nothing  we found, and nothing those we contacted indicated
it is doable.

> Does she have or have access to DesqView 386? DV is how I multitasked before
> switching to OS/2 Warp.

Indeed? I am sure she does not have it, I will hunt for this tonight.

It didn't care about the DOS version, though I have
> no recollection of the limitations it has if not also using QEMM,
Actually I have come across many suggestions for substituting qemm for the
Dr dos emm386, so it may be worth it.

which gave
me all sorts of trouble working on new at the time hardware.

Can you be more specific about at the time?  Not much hardware in the dell
smiles.

> Maybe what could meet her needs is OS/2 or eCS. Last century at least they
> were always better at multitasking DOS apps than DOS ever could hope to be.

lol! last century?  now now the dell is not that old, prior to the
reinvention, her friend was running xp on It just fine I understand, and
its default was  wind 98...shutters at the memory of unlocking that mess
of a drive smiles.

> OS/2 as eComStation is currently available to run on modern hardware, though
> the license is anything but cheap. A laptop old enough to be running a PIII
> is likely to function with an old Warp 4 version off eBay or Craigslist.

Having never looked into the operating system, hard to say if it will
work for her or not. I am more motivated at the moment by your first
possibilities,  especially  if there is  something yet untried for the
blooming drive.

> > The other responders may be right. The easiest route may be Linux and
> VirtualBox and/or DOSEMU.

I disagree entirely on that front.  the errors even trying to run gparted
magic on this unit were enough to keep Eleni out of Linux forever I am
sure smiles.
Frankly the easier root would be to install the same ms dos package I am
using no floppies required, but she wants  ahem a more modern
solution..whatever that is.
Thanks for the ideas,
Karen