Hi!

On 2017-11-04, 11:41, Dimitris Zilaskos wrote:
Hi,

There some bad heated past definitely which hopefully will be cooled down by
time but ultimately like I said, there is a number of dos era systems that
people like myself may want to use with FreeDOS and Jack's drivers are an option
to do that when available for use - in my case for example when the reported
issues with the supplied memory managers were not likely to be resolved any time
soon. So users such as myself may want to have as many options to get these old
dos era beasts working available to them. I was particularly happy when I was
able to use my systems with FreeDOS in ways I never had before and I received
extensive help from the community especially Jack, Eric as well as others so
this whole ordeal is holding some of my retro projects back.

I too have a couple of old 486 systems and recently also two 286 laptops (yeah!) but I wasn't yet able to install FreeDOS on them. The first reason being that my first project, a desktop 486, doesn't have a CD-ROM drive and, natually, no USB either. The only way to get FreeDOS on the HDD was to place it into a different system (a P4) and install it there. The bad news: this very HDD was too small for FreeDOS. So at that point I did give up, mostly due to my real life job which doesn't give me enough spare time to continue the project, at least for now.

My question to you is:
Why not use real retro software on real retro systems? I plan to install DR DOS 5.0, which I still have a legal copy of. I also plan to get abandonware of that time, which will not be a problem for a private person. Yes, it could be called "stealing", but it really is not, since those programs are no longer sold. Abandonware is clealy not trying to ruin businesses, but when there is no chance to give them money for it, then there is no damage. And the spirit is specifically to preserve old software, not to steal it.

Memory managers like Quarterdeck EMM (QEMM) and 386MAX come to mind. They *could* be available from abandonware sites, but I didn't check.

It may be possible to use FreeDOS with those memory managers. If they do their job properly, you should use them.

Cheers,
A.