At 3:16 AM -0700 9/1/2009, Kshitij Rajkumar wrote:
>  > There are MILLIONS of PowerPC based Macs still in service.  As long
>>  as XCode can produce Universal binaries WHY would anyone want to cut
>>  off that much of their userbase?   Reducing userbase == lower income.
>
>agreed but on the other hand, a particular company will look at how
>much rev loss there will be, how much cost will they save.

Of course.  It's always a balancing act.  WRT support costs tho, the
ppc userbase is older and already past the big initial/heavier
support need, so they're easy money for upgrades.

>Apple as such, themselves will stop i guess. Once they dont support
>the os 10.6 then their own products ought not to support universal
>binaries.

Yea.  But Apple is a whole different ballgame.  They're our big
gorilla, with billions and billions in the bank, headed by L'Jobs.
They can do whatever they want, including screw the older userbase
unnecessarily - as they have been shown to do in the past.  (eg:
ripping out or disabling processor support)

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.