On Apr 26, 5:35 pm, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> "Hey look! 8-) it's sn0w1ng Macintoshes outside!" is AS SECURE as anything
> RPG will generate, because while it's true that a truly random password string
> is more secure against cracking, the passphrase chosen is secure enough. And
> more importantly, I NEVER need to write it down....
>
> The bestest, mostest random password RPG will ever give you is USELESS if
> the method of cracking in doesn't involve cracking the password, but a social
> engineering attack, a MITM attack, a keylogger, etc.
>
> Far too many people fetishize long, random passwords as teh shizzle of
> computer security, when they're not (and there's not a whole lot of evidence
> that they've been all that good at preventing compromise in the first place,
> mainly
> because of the human element).

Yep.   From my user perspective -- every time a system forces me to
have a long randomized password, it guarantees that I have written it
down on a little yellow sticky somewhere.    If it forces me to change
passwords every few weeks, it triples the likelihood that the password
is scribbled down somewhere next to one of my desks.

Jeff Walther