Hi
   I've installed galaxy with the default settings and it works fine.

On a new Ubuntu machine I am trying to get galaxy running with Apache. But I am
having problems, I've followed the documentation.

After installing Apache I can put my ip address into a browser and I get
message saying Apache is working fine. It displays a message from
/var/www/index.html

Now when I start galaxy I was assuming I would get redirected to the galaxy
welcome page, but this doesn't happen and it remains at /var/www/index.html. To
view the welcome page I have to add ":8080" after the ip address. Is this still
required? I thought that Apache would know to redirect to my
distribution....What am I doing wrong?

/etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl and
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default look like this ...

        DocumentRoot /var/www
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>

 etc ...

/var/www/.htaccess

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/galaxy$ /galaxy/ [R]
RewriteRule ^/galaxy/static/style/(.*)
/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/june_2007_style/blue/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/galaxy/static/scripts/(.*)
/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/scripts/packed/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/galaxy/static/(.*) /home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^/galaxy/favicon.ico /home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/favicon.ico [L]
RewriteRule ^/galaxy/robots.txt /home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/robots.txt [L]
RewriteRule ^/galaxy(.*) http://localhost:8080$1 [P]

I created an empty 'galaxy' directory with 777 permissions on it under /var/www

and universe_wsgi.ini

# Define the proxy-prefix filter.
[filter:proxy-prefix]
use = egg:PasteDeploy#prefix
prefix = /galaxy

# Configuration of the Galaxy application.

[app:main]
filter-with = proxy-prefix
cookie_path = /galaxy

Thanks Neil