I wish I came from your background tom.
Yes there were consoles, but no one had the cash to own one yet alone set one up. This is not really a sob though it may sound like it but before 1993 I never used any computters at all. No one did, the family got their first system in 1995 before that we had an old box we used for games and dad had a couple of older laptops I used to turn off and on.
I got my first real computer in 1995 and everyone got online in 1997.
between that and 2003 we used dialup.
And since I had a dos system my games came from dad's and friend's floppys and cds. When it all went down the tubes I had old dos and some windows games using the keyboard. I have never been man enough to try to really use a joystick for games myself or a mouse or even a touchscreen. Most of my childhood was on nothing at all and later on it was the keyboard all the way. In fact so much so that unless I have a keyboard in front of me I find things so forign that I end up reguarding everything that is not a keyboard or not using windows totally crap probably because I never worked up the strength to try to use one of had the chance so I guess if I had started with a mouse or stick earlier in life that it makes a difference. And while I may go on boasting on all my projects probably part of that is so I look good i guess. Che did say once when he got mad once with me going off the top was that I was still fresh still new.
At the time I thought  he was a stupid idiot but he is right in a way.
For the 30 years or so of my life I have only got into computers for the last 20 and really realistically have only got into my own with a keyboard interface for the last 10 years and got to where I can say I can use a system reasonably in the last 5. I don't pretend to be smarter than some of the guys on here because I am not in some ways. I say the keyboard is better because all other experiences I have had with other devicfes didn't work out. Maybe some day I will have to try again or maybe I will learn I have always wanted to do so. But as long as there are ways to play with a keyboard then I will probably always do so. The same goes with my phone a touch screen makes me so uncomfortable that I'd rather have a keyboard phone. I envy those that have had the experience and have managed I right now don't feel i could may never do so. Pluss my friends and family have no idea how I would manage touch either having not experienced how blind people would interact with it themselves.
I have barely touched console games.
The only games I have played are interactive fiction and the old blind games of the early 90s and 2000s to draw on which is not that much. Even with the stuff I do now its all for the keyboard and while swamp was with the mouse I really never mastered the game fully.
One of these days that may change who knows.