Hi Shaun,
Yes, there is a huge difference in the size of a Java development
platform and a Microsoft.NEt development platform.
If you want to get everything for a full install of Microsoft's .NET
development platform with DirectX you are talking around 500 MB for
DirectX, 2 to 4 GB for the Windows Vista SDK, another 2 GB for the IDES,
and
you are looking at a good 6 to 8 GB of space just to write one game. On
todays hard drives that is doable, but is still very bloated and takes
up way too much space for my liking.
If you wanted to go Java the Java 6 JDK and JRE is only 149 MB fully
installed. There is an additional 92 MB for the Eclipse IDE, and around
120 MB for the Java resource docs. Even ith extra plugins, libs, I
suspect tops your typical Java development platform is around 500 MB.
That sure beats 6 to 8 GB for a .NET development platform.
As for my issues with Java I am certain sooner or later I will work them
out. The language is growing quite popular amung developers, and there
is a rapidly growing amount of mainstream docs on using Java to power
the next generation of web and PC based vidio games. Yes, there is also
a Java book on games and smart phones as well.