It may not be totally realistic, but for orneriness, could a monster carry a monster that carries a very valuable item? You would have to defeat two monsters to get it, but the fight might be worth it and fun. With randomness as you're thinking of, maybe the second monster could be the only surprise at times, while there could be a very good reward at other times.

---
Pretty is as pretty does.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] MOTA Clasic vs New Levels

Hi Ron,
Now, that I think of it there might be another way to add some randomness to the game without going through lots of trouble to do it. The Genesis engine does allow enemies to carry special items on their person. This could be a key, potion, scroll, whatever. Anyway, in short what I could do is randomize what items the enemies are carrying. After you kill them they will of course drop whatever it is they are carrying. Well, if I randomly select that item from a list of possible items you will never know if it is the gold key you need, a healing potion, a scroll, bonus points, extra life, etc. In other wordswhatever is dropped will be different from game to game. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlyer. Sheesh, it is a pretty darn good idea.

Ron Schamerhorn wrote:
Hi Tom

Now indeed I can totally see the trouble and amount of work that attempting that would generate. It's now understandable how much more there is doing that with a side scroller game. Thanks for the explanation.

Take care
Ron