From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] video game memories

Hi Ron,
Believe it. The graphics technology we have now for the XBox, PS3, and
Windows Vista is nothing short of spectacular compared to what we had in
the 80's and 90's. I'm just disappointed I can't see it for myself
first-hand.
One reason the graphics technology appears to be so good is many games
actually use male and female mottles to pose for various positions and
in various outfits. They probably even photograph them wet and dry for a
more realistic effect. Then they cut their image out of the photograph
and compile various clips of that mottle in hundreds of positions, from
several different angles, etc. Then in the game it simply displays the
mottle on the screen in the game world. if he/she looks real it is
because he/she was based on a live mottle rather than drawn using
computer generation.
That isn't to say all games use live mottles though. There are plenty
that use computer animation, similar to the new cartoons, to draw the
game worlds and characters. For example most modern cartoons from
Justice League Unlimited, to Transformers,   to the 2003 Masters of the
Universe series were all done using computer graphics animation rather
than drawing all the images by hand and filming them.