That's one area where the Neospeech voices really suffer. I stopped playing Sryth with them because of that. It would say some names like Hawklor, Trithik or Talinus just fine but then it would see the name Merzekk and it would actually spell it out M E R Z E K K rather than try to pronounce it. Well Kate would actually pronounce it but Paul would always spell it. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Cross Platform Speech Support

Hi,
Hmmm... I don't know about the more human part but Eliquence is responsive. I'll give it that much credit. Though, as a Window Eyes user I am more use to the Dectalk Access software that comes with Win Eyes than Eloquence. I've always been a bit of a Dectalk fan anyway. Even back when they sold the Dec PC and Dec Express units. Anyway, one reason I use Eloquence myself is it tends to speak very clearly. As a programmer being able to have your synth speak words correctly and do a good job with variable names, functions, etc is important. The more human sounding voices, especially the AT&T voices, go nuts when they see words that aren't in the english dictionary. If you give it a variable name like sndFireWeapon and instead of saying "s n d fire weapon" you get some kind of crap like "s n d f i r e w e a p o n." That is enough to drive anyone nuts.
Smile.

Yohandy wrote:
Actually, eloquence sounds quite human to me. that can't be good huh? lol. The voice wouldn't work for a game such as what Thomas is developing, but for a screen reader there's no better voice than eloquence. the response time is instantaneous, and this is definitely not the case with the more natural sounding voices.