I had another thought, Che.  Tell me what you think.
What about a 3-month demo--a 3-month unlimited demo of the game? People might get burned out on it with the keyboard, but if they get the wii first, they'll be hooked--and you'll have a sale in the bag when they have the money to do it.
Ken

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Feir" <michael.f...@gmail.com> To: "Che" <c...@blindadrenaline.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Would you pay $50 for a killer controller?

There comes a point, particularly when most blind people are unemployed, that things like that just aren't worth it. I would love to check out that In The Pit game which needs an X-box 360 controller but it just makes no sense to spend thirty bucks to be able to play one free game. The same goes for spending all the money on the Wiimote and balance board. That would essentially strip away over half my spending money for the month and I'm not even counting whatever you'd then reasonably charge for the game itself. I have things relatively easy here paying my parents room and board. I shudder to think how limited the audience for a game which demanded people purchase those accessories would be. If you can put the functionality for using those things in a game without requiring people to have them, you'd doubtless find a small number of people willing to fork over the money. A fighting game wouldn't overly excite me but there's been quite a lot of interest in that sort of thing. I would predict that you'd do quite well sales wise with something along those lines. Through no fault of yours, I lost interest in Rail Racer some time ago. Racing just isn't my cup of tea. Arcade, strategy or rpg games would suit me far better. However, before my interest faded, I took note of the utter care and craftsmanship you put into that game. I have the utmost respect for your abilities and hope for terrific stuff from you in the future. You seem to be open to a whole lot of different game styles and I have no doubt you'll come up with something which turns my crank eventually. Thankfully, I think interest in accessible games is once again on the rise. With moves like the one made by Serotek at the Atia conference, that can only draw more blind people into digital life. The thought of paying half as much as I did for Jaws to get a screen-reader which I'd then never have to pay to keep updated is mighty appealing.
Michael Feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
www.blind-planet.com/content/personal-power

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://www.blind-planet.com/content/life-word-and-sound

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine
1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Che" <c...@blindadrenaline.com>