Tom,

Phil just hit a gold mine there with the idea of enter feeling around
an arms length or so of where you are anytime you're crouching.  Even
more realistic would be a radius if you have a weapon drawn,
circumference if you have both hands free.  Combine that with the idea
I posted in another thread about shuffling along crouched and we have
100% realism, plus a way to explore a room if you've gotten a bit
torch happy and you're all flamed out.