To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 1:20 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] file format for MOTA sounds

Hi Tom,

Just had a thought, but I kept it on list in case it does end up
grabbing you and other developers that might have more knowledge want
to chime in.

Been flicking through the sounds from MOTA and I realised you're using
wave files for everything.  I wasn't sure whether this was still going
to be the case come the final release or not?  It just occurred that
now that you've started running multiple threads, using well encoded
mp3/ogg/some other compression might not be a big resource hogg, but
boy it would dramatically decrease the size of the overall download
and instalation directory.  As you know I'm only just beginning to
fumble my way around writing code, so whether compressed formats would
have to be decoded everytime they're triggered to play etc I have no
idea.  If that does turn out to be the case, it still might be worth
considering having longer loops such as music and ambience as mp3's
with actual gameplay sounds that're being triggered all the time still
as wavs.

Whether you end up making any changes to go with that or not, thought
it was worth a quick note to point out to you that at the moment all
the files I checked in the speech directory are in stereo.  Lowering
the sample rate of those as you have makes perfect sense and is a bit
of a space saver, you can half the filesize of that again by using
mono files.  Perhaps you knew that already and it doesn't play ball
with the engine in some way, but thought it was worth a mention in
case you're not a big sound geek.

Cheers
Scott