Check out the creative sb audigy (sp probably) zs notebook soundcard.
If your laptop has a pc card slot it will work just fine.  It has a
cable with the 3 necessary jacks for surround sound goodness.  I don't
think it's possible to get an sinternal oundcard replacement as it'd
be difficult to find a way to expose a headphone jack (also it'd
likely be very difficult to impossible to rewire the internal speaker
to use the new card). The audigy zx notebook is awesome. I don't know
if it's still in production but it was about $90 or so.  My Realtak
AC97 could record stereo mix but couldn't record both stereo mix and
line-in/microphone at the same time under XP. I haven't gotten the
intel/realtek (?) hd audio line-in/internal mic working under linux.
Perhaps it is just a crappy soundcard.