Hi Al,
Yeah, copyrights can be a serious pain in the backside sometimes. It all really depends on how strongly the company wants to press the issue, and weather or not the content is in the public domain. For example, in the 1990's there was a show called Hercules the Legendary Journies. Legally you can write all of the fan fiction games and stories you want because all of the main character's are all in the public domain anyway. However, Xena Warrior Princess, which was a spin off tv series of the Hercules show, is copyrighted up the butt, because the author's of the Hercules show created Xena from scratch so to speak. Anyway,you are right. It doesn' have to be an issue of picking one or the other. It is feasable to do both game ideas in time. one specifically fantacy and write one sci-fi. I guess it is justa matter of deciding which to do first, or more like deciding which idea I would like to do first. Grin.

Allan Thompson wrote:
Hi Tom,
That copyright stuff sounds like a mess. With the litigious nature of companies and people today, I can understand why you want to avoid that mine field as best you can.

When it comes to which game to make, there is nothing saying that you couldn't create both over time. If I understood it correctly, the online game you mentioned could have a lot of less work to it, and gamers with sufficient brain power can crank out those modules for expanding the online universe. At least, I think that is what you said about it. I do prefer the stand alone game, but it doesn't mean none of us would try out the online game, and it does sound interesting too.

I never thought much about the sounds of games. I just assumed that there was this giant reservoir of game sounds just sitting around ready to get used. I admittedly know nothing about all that, but is it possible to create the sounds needed, or to get some friends together, give them a bunch of medieval weapons and record what happens,lol. If I remember right, I think it is the foley artist in movies that make sound effects, and a while back I saw a show where they use various things to mimick sounds in a movie, like footsteps, twanging of bows, hitting a metal sheet with a drum stick to recreate thunder, things like that.

al