From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:17 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Creating Roll Playing Games From Scratch

Hi Dark,
Regardless if I create the game as a stand alone game in C++ or create it as
an online game I want to make it a single player game. I'm not really
interested in creating a party or pvp type game at this point.
As far as your idea of creating a universe with mixed technological skills
that kind of reminds me of an author I sometimes read. I don't know if you
have read any of Piers Anthony's books, but he often has an interesting way
of mixing science fiction and fantacy into the same story.
For example, in the Blue Adept Piers Anthony describes a world with two
aspects. In one frame it is a high tech world with computers, androids,
intersteller space travel, lasers, and anything else you would expect from a
science fiction novel. In the other frame it is a fantacy type world
complete with werewolves, unicorns, people use magic instead of technology,
etc. Some people are able to pass between the two frames of existance. Thus
the main character is able to be both active in a fantacy and science
fiction story at the same time.
Anyway, even big name science fiction stories like Star Wars do have a
fantacy aspect to them as well. If you think about it Star Wars is something
like a fantacy story set in a science fiction setting. Instead of magic you
have the force. Instead of swords you have light sabers.
Instead of knights waring armour you have storm troopers. A lot of the same
principles apply. it is just that Star Wars is suppose to be futuristic
instead of being set in ancient earth.
Smile.