Hi Tom,
That copyright stuff sounds like a mess. With the litigious nature of companies and people today, I can understand why you want to avoid that mine field as best you can.

When it comes to which game to make, there is nothing saying that you couldn't create both over time. If I understood it correctly, the online game you mentioned could have a lot of less work to it, and gamers with sufficient brain power can crank out those modules for expanding the online universe. At least, I think that is what you said about it. I do prefer the stand alone game, but it doesn't mean none of us would try out the online game, and it does sound interesting too.

I never thought much about the sounds of games. I just assumed that there was this giant reservoir of game sounds just sitting around ready to get used. I admittedly know nothing about all that, but is it possible to create the sounds needed, or to get some friends together, give them a bunch of medieval weapons and record what happens,lol. If I remember right, I think it is the foley artist in movies that make sound effects, and a while back I saw a show where they use various things to mimick sounds in a movie, like footsteps, twanging of bows, hitting a metal sheet with a drum stick to recreate thunder, things like that.

al