To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] New accessible train simulator in development

Hi,
Well, if their train simulator is anything like Microsoft Train Simulator there is a whole lot more to it then just inputting two locations and letting the train go. In MS Train Simulator you have a variety of trains to choose from. You can pick anything from a classic steam engine to a state-of-the-art electric powered engine. Each train is unique to drive, and you have to train with the simulator a while before you get the hang of driving that particular train. Then, you have to select a route. Once you have selected/filed the route to drive you need to drive the route. I've not had much experience with Train Simulator, but I know it can get pretty involved in driving the routes. For example, you pretty much have to get a feel for when you should begin slowing down for a curve in the track, when taking a train bridge, or when passing through a town. If you have your realism settings turned on the last thing you want to do is take a curve at maximum speed. That is an accident waiting to happen. If you are taking a long hill you will want to throddle down to 0 in order to let the train coast thus saving steam/fuel on the descent. As I mentioned the other day there are things you can do such as on steam trains you can have the computer fireman manage your coal, fire box, etc for you. You can turn the computer fireman off and handle the job as fireman as well as drive the train. There are some advantages in manually being your own fireman such as if you are good at it you can operate the train at peak efficiency. Of course if you take over the job as fireman you need to be able to tell the difference in the smoke and find out if you have a full head of steam or you have too much or too little coal in the fire box. Another thing about MS Train Simulator is they use the actual train wistle codes. A lot of people think that the engineer blows the wistle for fun. Not true. The train wistle is used for a variety of signals and messages that you should learn when playing Train Simulator.

Nick Helms wrote:
Same here
Is this a train simulator that you are developing, or did Harren find it?
Also, forgive me, but what exactly do you do in a train simulator.
Do you just imput two stations and hit ok and watch your train move
between them?
No afence, but what exactly does it involve? ?
Best,
Nick

http://www.eset.com